Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kathryn McDermott homework #2

     While reading chapter one in Everything's A Text by Dan Melzer I came across one hotspot on the first page, it said "The traditional idea that there should be one standard way of writing and speaking in America is being questioned by educators who think  of literacy as "multiple"' (Melzer 1). This quote stuck out to me because throughout my years in grade school I was always taught that there was an equation for each type of writing. To write an essay you must use five paragraphs or always start a good paragraph with a thesis statement. Although these may be useful tips, I do not think that writing should be bound by rules, but rather free writing with structure. A second hotspot in this reading that I would like to point out is "Even though President Clinton states that this is a letter of apology, a close look at the language he uses could reveal other purposes" (Melzer 9). I paused for a moment when I read this phrase because it really made me think about how the way things are worded can completely change the meaning of something. It's something that we, as writers, must keep in mind because the language used can change our intentions. 
     During the first chapter of the other text, Pearson Custom Library English Mercury Reader, I was quick to come across a hotspot on page one. The hotspot I chose to write about is "Writing is closely allied to critical thinking and to the innate satisfaction you take in exercising your curiosity, creativity, and problem-solving ability" (Ramage, Bean, Johnson 1). This passage intrigued me because I agree with what is said, I view writing as a major creative outlet in my life, a way to really let things out. This quote really shapes my views in a simple yet effective way. As I continued reading chapter one I found my second hotspot. This one read "Although most people have a variety of different types of clothing in their wardrobes, the genre of activity for which they are dressing (Saturday night movie date, job interview, wedding) severely constrains their choice and expression of individuality" (Ramage, Bean, Johnson 18). I chose this as my second hotspot because I felt that it closely related to me and I understood the analogy well. In writing we base our language usage and difficulty of text off of our audience just as we base our outfit off of who we will be presenting it to.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment